Regional & International Speaker:
UNESCO video messages on “The Ethical Framework for COVID-19 response in the Arab region: views and recommendations from the experts” (May 2020).
• Talk at the Second International Bioethics Conference, entitled, “What Can Ethics Learn from Islamic Legislation? An Islamic Approach to Moral Analysis Based on the Purposes of Islamic Legislation (Maqsid Al-Shariya’a)”, Sultan Qaboos University, Feb. 2020.
• Accepted abstract entitled, “How many studies conducted in humanitarian settings mention obtaining consent or being ethically approved? Preliminary findings of a systematic review”, WADEM Congress 2019, Brisbane, 7 - 10 May 2019.
• Accepted abstract entitled, “The significance of age and how it affects the ageing Arab women: An Islamic approach”, at the Regional Conference Aging Arab Women, Tunisia (Feb. 6-7, 2018)
• “The conduct of needs’ assessment surveys and their effect on the allocation of humanitarian aids and attention: Lessons from Darfur (2004-2012)” accepted abstract for the COST workshop on Disaster Justice (Copenhagen, 28 Feb. 2014)
• “The ethical implications of the socio-political conditions in the Arab countries on the research involving Arab women” accepted abstract for the regional conference on the Bioethics Issues for Women: Ethics of Reproductive Health-Social and Political Conditions in Arab Countries (February 8, 2014, Beirut Lebanon)
• 18th World Congress on Disaster and Emergency Medicine, Manchester, UK (28-31 May 2013). Title: “Consent for research and research-like activities during human-made disasters: Ethical principles and practical challenges”
• Third Regional Conference on "Stem Cell Research: Current Controversies”, AUB
• International Conference on Education in Ethics, held in Pittsburgh, PA, USA from 1-3 May 2012. Title of the talk: Democratization of medical education as a need to teach ethics.
• The UNESCO Regional Conference on Women's Health and Research, Cairo University, Egypt (7-8 December, 2011). Title of the talk: Conceptual and practical challenges to the ethics of women's health care and medical research.
• The 2nd Regional EMPHINET (East-Mediterranean Public Health Network) and 5th TEPHINET conference, Sharm Elsheikh, Egypt (5-6 December 2011). Title of the talk: “Introduction to ethical issues in public health with emphasis on Pandemic Preparedness”
• The Salim El-Hoss Bioethics and Professionalism Program 2nd Annual Conference, Beirut, (September, 2011)"Review of Non-National (International) Research conducted in Less Developed Countries:"
• Speaker at the Workshop on Ethics of Healthcare at ARAMCO Health Services, Dhahran, KSA (Nov. 2011)
• Speaker in the Patients’ Rights Workshop, King Fahad Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (June 2011)
• Medical Errors workshop, King Fahad Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (June 2011)
• Ethical Issues in Research, King Fahad Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (March 2011)
• Workshop on Research Ethics and International Epidemic Response, WHO, Geneva (2009)
• Invited Speaker in the National Conference of the National Council on Ethics of Human Research (NCEHR), Ottawa 2008.
As National Speaker:
• Invited panellist in the workshop entitled, “Bioethics in Medical School: A working perspective” organized by the UNESCO Bioethics Chair, Khartoum (Jan 2015)
• Developed and trainer of the course entitled, “Essential Skills in Health Research and Scientific Writing”, organized by Soba Teaching Hospital, Khartoum in collaboration with the Sudanese American Medical Association (SAMA), held in Khartoum (Jan 2015)
• Trainer, speaker at the SCOME - iMED project, Zaeem Azhary University Sudan (May 2014)
• Keynote speaker and panellist at the Conference on the Accreditation of Medical Education in Sudan, Ahfad university for Women, Sudan (May2014)
• Invited speaker on ethical issues in public health, Public Health Institute, Sudan (Jan. 2012)
• The National Public-Private Partnership Policy Workshop, FMOH, Sudan (June '08- June 2009)
• Course on Disaster Management, Ahfad University for Women (Sudan), in collaboration with Case Western Reserve University and Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital (Jan. 2009)
• Workshop on developing the role of scientific researchers, organized by the National Health Laboratory in collaboration with FMOH (2006)
• Proposal development workshop, FMOH, Khartoum 2004.
• Workshop on National Health Research Ethics, FMOH, 2004.
• Series of presentations and training sessions on management, FMOH (2004-2008)
• Member of the Saudi Health Council’s taskforce for allocation of scarce resources during pandemics and public health emergencies with focus on COVID-19, Riyadh (Mar. – Sep. 2020)
• Member of the National Bioethics Committee taskforce for ethical conduct of research during pandemics and public health emergencies with focus on COVID-19, Riyadh (Mar. – Sep. 2020)
• Invited for joint consultancy for WHO and UNESCO to train the Syrian Ministry of Health Staff on ethics of research conducted during armed conflicts, Damascus (2017)
• Consultant for the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties for its first-ever Online Ethics Course (Nov. 2016 – Apr. 2017)
• Consultant for the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties on ethics and professionalism (since 2011)
• Consultant for the Public Health Institute (Sudan) on public health ethics (Jan 2015 - date)
• Consultant for Eastern Mediterranean Public Health Network (EMPHNET) on Public Health Ethics (February 2013-date)
• Visiting consultant for Saudi Aramco Company Health Services on bioethics, Dammam, KSA (Nov. 2011)
• Consultant for the Research Directorate at the Federal Ministry of Health, Sudan to develop "Criteria for Accreditation for the Research Ethics Review Bodies (ERBs) Working in Sudan" (2011)
• Consultant for WHO on “Research Ethics in International Epidemic Response”,Geneva, 2009.
• Consultant for WHO on ethical issues in public health and disasters (2011- 2016)
Board Member of the Saudi Association of Healthcare Ethics (Apr. 19 – present)
Member of the Saudi Commission’s Patient Safety, Preventive Medicine, & Ethics subcommittee for SMLE
International Association for Ethics Education (Oct. 18 – present)
The American Public health Association (Aug. 2018- present)
The Royal Society of Public Health (UK), Sep. 2017 - present
The Sudanese Medical Association in the UK & Ireland (Aug. 2015 - present)
The European Society for Philosophy of Medicine and Healthcare (Aug. 2014 - present)
The European Cooperation for Science and Technology (COST), Individuals, Societies, Cultures and Health (ISCH) Action (Feb. 2013-2017)
Founding Member, Bioethics Network on Women's Issues in the Arab Region (BiNWIAR) (2012 – 2015)
The Clinical Ethics Committee, King Fahad Medical City, KSA (Sept. 2010 – Sep. 2012)
The Patients' and Family Rights Committee, King Fahad Medical City, KSA (April 2011 - Sep. 2012)
The Saudi Epidemiological Association (2009-2011)
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics (individual membership; 2012-present)
The Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI) Management Unit, Sudan (2008 - 2009)
The Public-Private Partnership Policy Taskforce, FMOH, Sudan (June '08- June 2009)
The Sudanese ministerial delegation to the Global Forum for Health Research (Bamako, Mali, ’08)
The National Health Policy Forum, FMOH, Sudan (2008-2009)
Team leader of the National Research Ethics Training Core Group (Sudan, July 08-2012).
Assistant secretary of the National Research Ethical and Technical Review Committees, Sudan (June 2004-June 2009)
Founding Member of the Primary Scientific and Ethical Review Committee, Dept. of Research, Federal Ministry of Health, Sudan (July ‘08-June 2009)
- Qualitative research (interviewer, focus groups’ facilitator, and trainer) on the ethical issues related to the conduct of research on humans during the armed conflict in Darfur, west Sudan (2014-2015) Member of the Government of Sudan-United Nations (GOS -UN) Joint Assessment Mission to assess the humanitarian gap in Darfur, West Darfur, 2009
- Primary Health Care Officer, WHO, Nyala Sub office, South Darfur State, Sudan (April-June 2006)
- Federal Supervisor and State Manager, Sudan Household Health Survey, South Darfur State (February - April 2006)
- Field supervisor and data enterer (EPI info V.3.2 &V.6.1), Crude Mortality Survey (May-June 2005), World Health Organization (WHO), North Darfur State, West Sudan
Teaching & Academic Experience
- Adjunct Faculty (pending approval), Public Health MSc at the University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Instructor at the Virtual Medical Academy (VMA) on topics related to ethics and health research.
- Member of staff in the National Committee for the Training of Trainers in Research Ethics at the National Committee of Bioethics, King Abdul-Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), KSA (2017 - present)
- Collaborating Lecturer on Public Health Ethics, Saudi Board for Community Medicine, Riyadh (Jan. 2017)
- Chairperson for the Students’ Right Committee in Alfarabi Medical Colleges, Riyadh (Oct. 2016- Apr. 2019)
- Member of the Curriculum Management Committee, Alfarabi Medical Colleges, Riyadh (April 2016- April 2018)
- Member of the College Council, Alfarabi Medical Colleges, Riyadh (April 2016- April 2019)
- Course director and instructor of the following courses at Alfarabi Medical Colleges, Riyadh (Apr. 2016- Apr. 2019):
• Epidemiology and Community Medicine Course
• Research Methodology & Evidence-Based Medicine
- Group facilitator, Practical Epidemiology and Statistics module on the master’s in public health (MPH), University of Birmingham, UK (Nov. 2015)
- first online public health ethics course organized by EMPHNET in collaboration with the People’s Uni (http://ooc.peoples-uni.org/)
- Invited lecturer on Rural Health in Low-Middle Income Countries (LMICs) for the MPH students at the University of Birmingham, UK (April 2015). URL: http://www.slideshare.net/ghaiath/rural-health-inlowmiddle-income-countries
- Visiting lecturer, MSc. Program in Molecular Biology, University of Khartoum, Sudan (April 2014)
- Instructor, Training Programs in Epidemiology and Public Health Interventions Network (http://www.tephinet.org) (2011-date)
- Assistant professor of bioethics, faculty of medicine – King Fahad Medical City, King Saud Bin Abdul-Aziz University for Health Sciences (June 2010 – Sep. 2012)
- Visiting Lecturer & Examiner on medical ethics for the Faculty of Medicine, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia (October 2010 – Sep. 2012)
- Visiting Lecturer & Examiner on medical ethics for the Faculty of Medicine, Tabuk University, Saudi Arabia (Feb. 2011 - Sep. 2012)
- Course instructor of Ethical Issues in Community Medicine Practice, Joint Program for Community and Family Medicine, KSA (Dec. 2009)
- Facilitator in the online Public Health Ethics Course with Prof. Dick Heller, People’s Uni
- Course Instructor and facilitator of the Course on Ethical Issues in Psychology and Counselling, delivered to the Students of master’s in psychology, Ahfad University for Women (Sudan, April-May 2009) Visiting lecturer on medical ethics and research ethics in the African International University (Sudan 2008)
- Facilitator on ethical issues during disasters in the Course on Disaster Management (Ahfad University for Women, in collaboration with Case Western Reserve University and Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital, (Sudan, Jan. 2009)
- Member of the Research Ethics Review Board for Determinants of Health Course students' projects.
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto (Dec. 07-Feb. 08)
- Facilitator in the Workshop on Developing Proposals for Research on Patients' Safety, Azhary Uni. (2008)
- Tutor on ethical issues in Obstetrics and Gynaecology for University of Toronto medical students (Dec.’07)
- Tutor in sessions on Breaking Bad News for University of Toronto medical students (April, 2008) National trainer/facilitator on Research Ethics (Sudan, June 2007 – present)
Training and Capacity Building Experience
Trainer on research ethics, clinical ethics, and public health ethics at King Fahd Medical City, Riyadh, KSA (2010 - present)
Facilitator on Knowledge Management cycle and Research Skills, FMOH & Soba Teaching Hospital (2015)
Facilitator on Evidence-Informed Policy Workshop, Policy Unit, FMOH, Sudan (2009)
Facilitator and co-instructor, Disaster Management with Focus on Family and Children, organized by Case
Western Hospital (US), held in Ahfad University for Women, Sudan (2009)
Presenter of a series of public sessions for medical students on medical ethics (Sudan, 2006- 2009)
National Trainer on Research Ethics, Research Dept., FMOH, Sudan (June '08-present)
National trainer on health management for Directors General of State Ministries of Health. FMOH, (2004 - 2008)
Training focal person, Directorate General of Health Planning and Development, FMOH (2004-2006) Technical and Capacity Building Advisor, Standing Committee on Public Health, Medical Students'
International Network (MedSIN-Sudan, 2008-present)
Trainer on Dengue Fever, Dengue Fever Control Program, Jeddah, (Sep. 06-Sep. 07)
Research and Technical Advisor, Dengue Fever Control Program, Jeddah, KSA (Sep.’06 –May ’07)
Academic & Professional Achievements:
• Awarded the Research Award by H.E., the President of King Saud University (Dec. 2018)
• Contributor to the question bank on ethics and professionalism of the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties in collaboration with the late Professor James Ware (2015)
• Developer and instructor of the First Regional Public Health Ethics Training, organized by EMPHNET (2014)
• Establishing the Medical Ethics Department at King Fahad Medical City Medical College (2010)
• Developing the medical ethics curriculum for undergraduate medical students at King Fahad Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (2011 - 2012).
• Developing the first Training of Training (TOT) program on teaching bioethics by non-specialized faculty staff in Tayba University, Al-Medina Al-Monawara, Saudi Arabia (2011 and 2012)
• Co-founder of the first regional Arab professional body for bioethics – The Arab Bioethics Society
• Developing the first national research ethics training manual in Sudan (2008)
• Developing the first online medical ethics course website for Saudi undergraduate students (https://sites.google.com/site/medicalethicscourse/), and the first Arab live broadcasting channel dedicated for medical ethics (www.livestream.com/medicalethicscourse)